Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Viewpoints: I think I've done this before...but not really.

So my first reaction to viewpoints was "Oh, yeah I've done this." Or at least something like it. I've done most of the execises we explored in the past but no body ever told me it was called viewpoints. I think that Tompkins had us doing something like this as the beginning of his warmup routine last semester, at least the moving through space part. And i don't think I've ever done all those exercises at the same time.
It is one thing to read about the concept on paper. It's quite something else to do it. I've always learned that way anyway. I didn't understand the concepts in application until I'd actually done them. To me the viewpoints chapter we've covered so far only explain the concept in dividing out Space and Time and how to apply them through various things such as Tempo and Shape. It was Amy's instruction that brought it to life.
What also I noticed was how quickly it develops ensemble. I seems to break down barriers quickly and I'm not sure how. I often wonder how these things are thought up and wish i was part of the creation process. I would have loved to have been in the room when someone said "Okay I think we should all move through space."
I can't wait to read the rest of the chapters...

No comments:

Post a Comment