Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Meeting the writer

I wanted to post over the break about meeting Naomi Wallace, and that seemed to slip my mind.. all week.. so, i decided to go ahead and post about it now.
Going into the meeting, I had a completely different idea of what she would be like, and what our meeting would be like. I just thought that it would be very professional, because she is a professional and very successful-- so i thought that we would be very restrained in our questions and that she would be cut and dry with her answers. However, I was proven wrong when she walked up to greet our group with this welcoming smile on her face. We sat in a small circle and started talking about writing and what we are doing with this class and she was just as interested in us as we were in her. It was so fun to hear her talk about her experience working with other people in the business, and I was so comfortable listening to her. She seemed like she was a part of our close community, and she is from Louisville, but when I stand back and think about where she has been and how successful she is, it really was nice to meet the person and not just a professional personality.
To be reading and performing her work is a completely different level of amazement for me. It is just such a new experience that I'm not quite used to and embracing that is definitely a fun adventure for me (and as I hope for the entire class). It makes me nervous to some extent too, to perform her work now, because we have met her and I feel a loyalty to her to perform it like she wanted, but i don't really know what that is.
the point of my blog is that it was a really educational experience getting to meet Naomi Wallace, and it was nice to put a personality with the name and face, and to know who wrote the plays that we have read and discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment