Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Writer. The Reader. The "Then What?"

After returning from talking to Naomi Wallace, I had this weird thought that...SHE WROTE IT! Haha, I guess what made it weird was that there was an intensity level of knowing she had the answers, or that we had questions that had no business being asked regarding the work itself, that make sense? It was when Rocky was talking about the issues regarding war and terror and war crimes and how it can be paralleled throughout the there plays that we read - i realized that this woman HAS THE ANSWERS! Then I got to thinking some more, what have i created on my own through my own experiences that were not hidden into these texts in the first place - and how off target will I be when I talk about it? Anyway, it was a bit of anxiety regarding a pandora's box situation - do I want to know what's intentional or what's not? Hmm...

I also had a very self-esteem booster type of moment when I realized that I had stumbled across something (seemingly)great that parallels the three plays. Perhaps it was something to do with the supernaturalness of being able to leave or find something better. Perhaps that was the role of Lue Ming, Sausage Man and the Train - they were these more than reality characters that showed us something about the characters and ourselves - where we are coming from and what we are striving for. That doesn't sound like what I said (if anyone wrote it down, I'd like to be refreshed) but I like this just as well.

Moving on to other things, interviewing.... I'm starting to get worried about who I can interview and how far I'm able to spread my wings in doing so. I've got interviews lined up with people who are in the class, but does that really do me any good?

Moving on again. Recently (Yesterday) I just got back from the USITT conference, which is a Theatre Technology conference that showcases the growing industry and offers classes regarding different areas of technical theatre to help people learn and share their experiences. While I was there and for a few weeks I've been dealing with the issues of what do i want to get out of what I am doing? For example, I really want to run away to NYC and latch onto a designer and work my way up in the world by becoming a Broadway Lighting Designer - but what good am I doing for the world? Sure, I'm entertaining the few masses who can experience such a pricey thing, but what am I doing? So, the activist inside of me really wants to focus on the world and the issues that are at hand. I want to make a difference with all of this schooling that I'm doing and is that Community Based Theatre?

I realize this is scattered, but this is how the good thoughts come out (at least for me)

2 comments:

  1. To comment on the interview section of this post-- I interviewed Zac, who is also in the class for my ELP, and I had thought that it may not be as helpful because he is in the class and I already know him, instead of interviewing a total stranger, but, when it was over, it didn't matter. He didn't just tell me things that I already knew, I found out a lot about him as a person, and about the topics we discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think interviewing anybody can be helpful in some way. When you ask the right questions, who knows what is going to come out? That's something I discovered when interviewing my Dad. I had only asked to interview him to be able to have something to work with last week, but he told me all kinds of valuable stuff.
    I, too, wish I was interviewing a larger spectrum of people, and don't know how to go about approaching them. Amy, can you explain how you got in contact with the ladies at Ford?

    ReplyDelete