Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Research I forgot to post

Hey all this is some research that I tried to post before but for some reason it isn't posting so here we go again.

These are just some things that I didn't get to involving Combative Homophobia (or Nonviolent Homophobia) and the Mormons. I didn't get to the Mormons too much in my presentation but what I found could fill volumes.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_lds5.htm
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lacy_nightlinethe-life-of-gay-mormons_news

And here is an interview that I found from the LDS Newsroom regarding homosexuality and Mormonism and how they skirt the issue. Please read this one if you can it is enlightening and gut wrenching.
http://beta-newsroom.lds.org/official-statement/same-gender-attraction
-Jared

2 comments:

  1. Wow!I just viewed the online video about gay mormons. It was very interesting. I wrote down this phrase that began the clip "They're Mormon, They're Gay, and That's a Problem..." I was suprised when the gay mormon couple said that the knew since childhood that they were attracted to men. I was even more shocked at the group of gay mormon fathers call Gammaphites! Thanks Jared for posting this, I learned so much...the relationship between religion and human sexuality is so intricate. Also the idea of POWER TO CONTROL kept coming up in my mine when they showed the Father of the Mormon church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a chance to watch the video you posted, but I did look at the links...and wow. First off, let me just say that I am still astonished at all of the research and information you accumulated this semester (between this research project and your ELP). I guess homophobia is one of those things that I knew about and acknowledged, but never thought about in-depth until now. The most devastating thing for me to see are recurring words such as: impure, immoral, unnatural, and other variations that are just as negative and degrading. It is such an eye opener to realize how much hatred some people have towards homosexuals and how narrowly they think regarding the subject. It just makes me...sad. :(

    ReplyDelete