Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Favs of the semester!

As the time approaches for us to perform our finals I can’t help but look back over the semester and think about some of the wonderful things we’ve done. In my opinion this class has been an absolute adventure. It has given me tools that will stay with me for the rest of my theatrical career. The Viewpoints and The ELP exercises are two things we have done this semester that I feel have taught me the most.

I believe it was Triza who said this on one of the blogs, I am paraphrasing but she said that the viewpoint are a great tool because they take you out of your head and allow you to just do. They allow you to move through time and space in a way that is not only interesting but in a way that creates beautiful stage pictures. I am performing in a ten minute play for Studio. I came to the rehearsal process late due to an actor dropping out. I had to find a very quick way to make bold choices in rehearsals and the viewpoints inspired those choices.

The ELP exercisewere my second favorite of the semester. The reason I like this exercise so much is because it forces the performer to base their character off a real person. I think it is an amazing way to step away from generic or mundane performances and be able to present three dimensional characters on stage. Moreover, I gained a lot of knowledge about how to conduct an interview and that alone is a useful tool that I will need for the rest of my career.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Gary! This has been and awesome class, and the Viewpoints and ELP were great tools in teaching community based theatre...I personally appreciate how this class interwine technology in our learning procese via Blogger, Facebook, and other social medias...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great point, Gary, when you mention that you think the things we learned in this class will stay with you for the rest of your life. That is exactly how I feel too. The viewpoints work has arguably been the most beneficial thing I've learned this entire year, and something that I know I will always carry with me as an actor. It provides, as you also mention, a way of looking at yourself externally and just...being. It can even tie into the ELP's which taught us how to look at behavior and personal traits through an unbiased and objective form, which is infinitesimally beneficial for us all as actors.

    ReplyDelete