Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Finale

The final performances in our class came and went without (too much of) a hitch. This past Wednesday evening we gathered in Middleton Theatre, at Strickler Hall, and performed each of our self-written, solo character study pieces, interspersed with scenes from "A Perfect Wedding" that we had been working on. Since the public was invited, our teacher offered them the chance to write down feedback that they would be able to give to her; and though I haven't heard any of it yet, I am very interested to hear what folks had to say. Regardless of what others thought, I felt as though things went as great as could be expected. It was unfortunate that we couldn't perform in our "home base," the University of Louisville's Thrust Theatre, but we made things work as best as we could.

It felt good to finally perform for people outside of our class (even if the majority of them were peers of ours) and the feeling that we were unveiling this secret project we had been working on for the better part of the past three months was fantastic. I could really tell in that moment just how much we have learned this semester and how we have each grown as actors and individuals. Not to mention, our group had really come together as a true ensemble at this point, almost like a small family; and it really felt like we were a united front in all of this.

This particular exercise (and this entire course, really) was an excellent jumping off point for all of us. I feel like I have learned more in this class about ensemble theatre than I have in any other course at UofL, and the range of things we studied are unlike anything else I have also experienced here. It makes me excited for the coming semester and the ability to expand our ensemble to encompass more people into this experience, and hopefully to learn even more about theatre through our production of "A Perfect Wedding."

It has been a real honor to be in class with all of the guys, and I'm going to miss them all (well, until next semester when I see them again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment