Thursday, December 2, 2010

Research and Process

The research I did for this production opened my eyes up to the cruelty of the world. Female genitalia mutilation and ritual deflowering are two practices that happen all over the world and are also issues that are dealt with in “A Perfect Wedding”. Not only did my research enlighten me about these subjects but it gave me a sense of pride and involvement with this project that I have never really had with any other play I have done.

I have done quite a few plays in my theatrical career and with every project I have signed up for there has always been some sort of research I had to do about the play of about the character. The difference between those situations and this project is that then, I was doing research for personal reasons. For “A Perfect Wedding”, we each were responsible for researching a certain theme or subject matter the play addressed. We then were responsible for presented the research we had done to the class. I thought this method of content analysis was great because now, everyone else’s understanding of certain parts of the play were my responsibility. It was no longer about me researching just for the sake of myself but for the sake of our production.

Learned a lot about the subjects I research. Moreover I gained a sense of pride for our production. It is like when you help build a set for a play and then you go see that play. As you watch it you have a tremendous sense of pride because you helped build it. When this play finally goes up in March I will have that same sort of pride because in a sense we have all helped to build this production.

No comments:

Post a Comment