Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm a little bit sappy...

This class has been, challenging, frustrating, put on the back-burner, and yet, I have loved every minute of it! I do not think this class could have been more beneficial to me as a performer, but also, and this will sound corny, as a person. I have always wanted, for me, theatre to be more than just a 2-D art. I have never wanted an audience to leave a show and never be impacted of moved by the work I have done. I look at theatre as work. Not art, per say. It is more. I was relieved by this class to find out that I was not the only one, and performers long before had had this thought and had pioneered this sense of community theatre.

In end, community is what it is all about. Without an audience, there is no show. The training we have had, the sense of opening in our process of building the characters, the way the class had discussions and worked unified as an ensemble were things I may never get to experience anywhere else. This is something I would love to take me elsewhere outside of the classroom.

What is truly exciting is the chance, now, to get together as a class and also new people once the process of auditions happen. Being able to expose new people to all that we have been learning and involving them, and hopefully engaging them as we have been, is almost overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment