Monday, February 9, 2009

I read this play two years ago and was intrigued and interested in this story. As I’ve said before I am interested in material that brings together fantasy and realism. And this show weaves these elements in a seamless way that provided a show that I found so interesting.

The way the train becomes such a stark part of the story and personality – showing the deep desire to find oneself and leave behind depression and the impact of poverty.

In our current economic state where I hear stories of friends and friends of friends loosing jobs and the fear of that impacting more this story speaks to the stories I see played out in front of me.

One of the powerful parts of this story was the way that the children had to watch their parents suffer and despair. In the face of this kind of despair words are often not enough – and this is where the fantasy and poetry of the play becomes so powerful.

The simplicity of the play lays out a story that takes us through pain with poetry and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment