Monday, February 9, 2009

saturday's reading

I have to say that I love The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek! Just comparing it to Slaughter City, I find it to be more clear, and clean. Again, it is a sad story, but i think it is easier to understand first off. Slaughter City was so raw, and I really liked the edge that it had, but I think that "Trestle," would be my choice so far, for us to work on.
The solo performances on friday went well, i thought. They were all very different, because we interpreted the assignment in our own ways, and that made for an interesting performance each time. I really liked the use of audience participation from everyone, it was nice to see how each person incorporated that into their piece. I also liked how Zac incorporated the song "origin of love," into his piece. He was so connected with us when he sang and played the song, and it has really touching words anyway- it was a moving experience because you could tell that it meant something, and that made it mean something to us. I found it difficult to get through my performance without getting emotional. Talking about the past and comparing it to the present always brings a little bit of pain in everyone because we relive our experiences, good and bad, but I found it much more difficult to talk about the present than the past. It was a good experience, but i just hope that it wasn't uncomfortable to watch.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the solo performances quite a bit because, as you said, each one was so different. When people tell their own stories, it's often really moving. Sometimes difficult, yes, but in a good way. I didn't find your performance difficult to watch at all! You balanced struggle with humor and innocence in a really compelling way.

    I want to point out a connection between something you wrote and The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek. You said: "Talking about the past and comparing it to the present always brings a little bit of pain in everyone because we relive our experiences, good and bad, but I found it much more difficult to talk about the present than the past." For some reason this reminds me of Pace, and her need to re-enact Brett's death. But also, theatre in general lets us bring the past into the present in very palpable ways, and re-experience it or maybe tell it a different way to understand what's going on now.

    It seems like people are really leaning toward Trestle at Pope Lick Creek, and I definitely see the reasons for that. But also, Slaughter City's difficulty might make it more of a challenge to work on. I like the fact that the possible meanings emerged really slowly, and only then through our discussion and communication about the play.

    ReplyDelete