Sunday, February 8, 2009

the trestle at pope lick creek!

So I read In the Heart of America yesterday at work after the staged reading of The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek. Having read all three plays, (even though we haven’t had the reading for the third play yet), I think The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek is my favorite. I feel like I can relate to this play more than the others. I know that’s not the point of the class, per se, but it is not even so much the characters I relate to. It’s the idea that there is something better out there, but it is unattainable. I lived a big part of my life like this, constantly thinking that things would get better once…(fill in whatever). Finally, I realized that I was missing out on my life, and I think all of the characters in this play are stuck there. They all think that things will change and then their circumstances will be better, or things will never change and they will forever be stuck. But really, it is up to people to change their own lives. But is that really a possibility? Right now, I think a lot of Americans feel the same way, because they are losing one of the biggest things our society values (money!) and the less they have, the more they value it, which ultimately leads to a situation like one in the play, where the characters cannot even continue their relationships or form new ones. I think this play would be good for us to do because it can relate to the situation our country is in today, in a very scary way. I also think our dependency on technology could interestingly be tied into a production of this play, just like the trains were for the time period. I really did love this play, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment