Monday, February 16, 2009

today's class

After our meeting with a former Cornerstone member last week, I wasn’t so sure about how this all worked. I think because Cornerstone is such an extreme to what we had been talking about – I mean, they literally drove in their cars and landed upon whoever would take them in. Now, don’t get me wrong, this sounds incredible, but I was not quite sure how the appeal compared to the success of the communities the company inhabited. After reading the book, however, I am starting to see what’s up. I’m not as much into the directions and all that, but I really enjoy the stories (plus those are the comic book parts!)
As humans, we are creatures of comparison. We usually learn more about something by comparing it to whatever prior knowledge we have of that subject. Today in class we were talking about theatre and how it has been a certain way, with specific conventions, for so long. The social order and view regarding theatre and drama have changed throughout history, but the basic implementation has always been, and is still there. Now we are being introduced to a completely different theatre process that can change perspectives for the audience and company, not just one or the other. Is this the new form of theatrical convention? And if it is, do we want that? So often, something is so great until it becomes the norm, and then we find (again as our comparative genes overpower our sensibility sometimes) that we are not as intrigued with this new form that has taken shift.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this blog. I feel like melanie and i have the same mind sometimes. I didn't, and still don't, completely understand how Cornerstone really works. My concern is the basic mission. I want to know what the people of the community are learning, if they are learning- I'm thinking that the mission of the group is to teach people the importance of theatrical storytelling, and to also bring them together as a community by involving them in a performance that they are related to in some way.
    I am very intrigued, myself, by this form of theatre. I think this was mentioned in a later blog (amy's?), anyway, I remember reading that someone said community theatre is the only place theatre can survive anymore. I agree with this statement, and I think it is because we have changed so much as a society even in the past 10 years. I think that we are looking, or dying, for something real- that makes us feel something and brings us together with real human connection, rather than mindless entertainment, or entertainment that we watch and then leave at the door. We're always evolving, and with the change that has already happened in 2009, I feel that our society may be more accepting of new things such as this type of performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope so. When I was in high school, we would usher for Actors Theatre of Louisville so we could see the plays for free, and during the shows, we would 'count the blue hairs' as they say. The bulk of their audience is older people with money, which I know is a huge generalization, but sorry it’s true. I get excited when I see someone my age at a play, that's what helps me to form a sense of community. I think it is because our society (and I know I've said this before) is so intent on separating everyone based on age, sexuality, class, race, physical ability, gender, etc. (pretty much everything that could make one person different than another). Sadly, I am a product of this, because I feel more comfortable and willing to let myself be if I am around people similar to myself. Of course, I also thrive on those different than me. But I am a lot less willing to let any vulnerability show. But then that leads to how important the audience is in a production. Having been involved in a number of theatrical productions, I know how much having an audience changes the performance, the production, and all elements of the theatre. So all this leads to a great desire I have to create some different theatre, that can engage all groups of people and make them feel comfortable enough to just be. And yes, Cassie, we do have the same mind!

    ReplyDelete