Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hi! I'm Jared.

Hello all, my name is Jared White. I’m a second year graduate student here at the University of Louisville. I’m really excited about this class because I love creating new works from scratch. I’m excited about what we will accomplish in this class. About a year and a half ago I did a performance art piece for the first time. The piece involved me putting up several pictures of civil rights leaders. I had up pictures of Chief Joseph, Harvey Milk, Emma Goldman, Malcolm X and Caesar Chavez. Then I went along writing racist words on all their faces. With each picture I would remove an article of clothing. Once the clothing was revealed it showed the very same words written in permanent marker all over my skin. I would eventually by the end of the piece be completely naked and covered in racism. During this whole piece I had the star spangled banner (ironically sung by the Mormon tabernacle choir) playing while a slide show showed photos of white Americas checkered past with freedom. Then once I was completely naked I tried to wash off the words with a bucket of water while Elton Johns’ “The Last Song” played in the back ground. During this last song I also had pictures of hope continuing the slideshow.
I tell you this, not to brag but to highlight all that we might be able to accomplish with this class. We probably won’t be touching such heavy handed material but we can go far with the statements we can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment