Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Solo Performances: John Leguizamo, Danny Hoch, Spalding Grey,

So I am familiar with Freak but I have to say that reading it as opposed to seeing it...that’s something else. I’ve always wanted to do my own show but he is so brave with the things he talks about.
I don’t feel the written dialogue does him justice. It’s really fun to watch him because he will use a few simple props to tell all of his stories. For example, when his father hits him and he begins to fly towards the light he will lay belly down on a garbage can and pretend to be floating through space. If I recall correctly he will use a broom for the antenna. Then there are the physical gestures he works with. He uses a lot of the viewpoints, whether or not he calls them that. So I guess reading it won’t do everything for us.
Danny Hoch seems like it would be a fun watch but the video didn’t really show me enough to get a grasp of what his show is like. Although I read the article posted on blackboard it was difficult for me visualize him performing Bianca. It would seem to me that a lot of these shows are difficult to grasp once they have to be put to paper. To me I wonder what the point of scripting a show of this type would be. This show is an individual performance by and about a specific person (for example John Leguizamo doing his father) How can you pick up his show and do it as my own? Has that ever been done? Can it be done?
I can see if I were to take a story that Spalding Gray was telling and removed any specific reference to himself and told it as my own then I could accomplish it.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how an actor will use whatever surrounds they have to create art. Watching them perform in hospitals, prison, gardens, parks and basically on the street corner as in Gorilla Theatre in the 70's shows much creative spirit. I watched Anne Deavere Smith play different characters in one woman show. It really inspired me for my solo performance on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete