Sunday, January 11, 2009

Amelia, introducing herself

I'm Amelia. I'm a junior here at u of L, and I'm beginning my final year of study at the Louisville School of Massage Therapy as well. I live near campus in a studio apartment with my cat, procrastinate diligently, and listen to a lot of public radio.

I lived in Salt Lake City until I was 12, and moved to Louisville in July of 2000. (I also went to school at the University of Indianapolis for a year, ten weeks of which was spent in Greece). Although I lived in Salt Lake longer, I really feel like I "grew up," intellectually at least, in Louisville. I love to travel, but it always nice to come home to what is familiar, which in this case, is this city and its people.

My interest in theatre is primarily directing, although I currently do a lot of stage managing- my theory is that stage managing is a way to let me watch many different directors work, and pick and choose what I think does and doesn't work. I have been known to act and sing as well.

In this class, I am interested in learning effective methods of bringing voices to community issues, in order to present those issues to a larger, and probably unaware, audience. I really enjoy movement work, and the role it can play in effective story telling. I am interested in some day composing an interview-based piece on the effects of mountain top removal coal mining on Appalachian communities. I would also like to play with the idea of doing an interview-based piece on my family history.

I am excited to see what this course brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment