Monday, January 26, 2009

playing with viewpoints

Viewpoints – a reminder of play.

Working with viewpoints in this class and on several other occasions I have been intrigued by the way viewpoints reminds me of children at play. There is a sense of focus and question that viewpoints provides for me that is similar to children imagining and playing together. Watching children play I often see them focusing and so involved in their world but with a willingness to integrate new things and try new threads to the story they are telling. And the simple pleasure of playing for children seems to be found in the sense of discovery through viewpoints. There is always the question of “what if?” what if I walk over here, what if I use this part of the room, what if move closer to this person etc.

Both through watching and participating in viewpoints exercise I feel that excitement of trying new things while being invested in telling a story with others who are invested in the story.

I have always been interested in the ways that teams are put together and how to help a group work well together and the focus and work that viewpoints allows seems to be a good path to help in creating a well working team.

But finally its simply fun. And the delight of story and movement that I recall from playing as a child can be revisited as we imagine the “what ifs? of the story we are telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment