Monday, January 12, 2009

Name: Will Gantt
Where: I have lived in the Louisville area for about ten years now, but I still call Alabama home.

My interest in threatre is simple. First and foremost, it is fun. I took a theatre class in my sophomore year of high school and, as they say, "that's all she wrote." Not only do you get to play onstage and have all eyes on you (which was a surprise joy for a shy guy like myself), you learn something about some other people, lifestyles and situations, even if you had no intention of such. Second, I feel that theatre can be a very useful tool of teaching and learning. Whether the lesson is historical or moral, among others, you can use this medium to express ideas in an interesting and exciting form. I am more than sure that I am leaving plenty out, but this will have to do for now.

I was interested in this class because it really sounds like it will capitalize on those positives which I listed above. We will not only be learning about something contained in a play, we will be taking it a step further and talking to people in our own community who have somewhat shared experiences with the material contained in the play we choose. Ever since I started getting into the acting process, I have wanted to really research a role and have one-on-one conversations with someone who has a closer relation to a character or situation from the play of my focus. Through this, I expect that we will learn a great deal about the world outside our own, we will have a passion and commitment for the play and work that we may not have had simply due to a lack of awareness. As lame or corny as it may sound, I really expect us to grow, not only as performers, but as people this semester. I'm pretty stoked about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment