Sunday, January 25, 2009

Slaughter City, KY

Slaughter City.

I've been thinking about it a lot and was trying to explain it to a few people and just got blank stares when I went into the idea of the Sausage Man and his sausage grinder. I kept telling them all about the magic he SEEMED to possess and how his arrival in places SEEMED to be consistent of "checks and balances" within the labor unions and proceedings. I would also get lost in reciting how a man who favors a cow with his voice and a pig with his name was in charge of the slaughter of these animals. I mean, how ridiculously funny is that? Ridiculously is the answer.

So then, I tried a new approach with telling the last person of the night the story of Slaughter City. I told it straight forward and then at the end through in the other-worldliness of the Sausage Man and it just seemed to work. Perhaps that's why we don't really know what's going on with him in the beginning - because it would make us think too much about his presence instead of just accepting it for what it is. It's like what Sarah said yesterday, we'll never be able to make it all make sense; and that's great! It's also extremely appealing.

On a personal level, I think this play gives me great sympathy, or at least I feel very sympathetic to the characters. I regret not being able to feel an overwhelming empathy for them, but regret the one character I can empathize with the most. Reading this play, made me feel more disconnected to my own city than I already did before. I feel like it isn't fair the hardships these people went through, especially if it took place in such a modern time. Perhaps it strikes the chords of the activist inside me, but it really makes me want to jump in and clean up the working environment for anyone who has ever had to go through this. I guess it makes sense that that is how I should feel, is that not one of the main goals of a piece like this? To unite a community or outsiders to notice the bad and help CHANGE it?

I don't really know a lot about these working environments or union rules but one other note that it struck with me was the mutilation of meat comes off very abrasive in this play. I'm a full blown carnivore, no doubt, but this show really made me detest all things having to do with processed meat or even the idea of carcasses. I'm well over it now, of course, as I don't think I can go a meal without meat. However, it did make me think about it more. I think that is the most important part any play or written work can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment