Tuesday, January 20, 2009

viewpoints-- 1st exercises

From these first exercises that we have done, I have learned more about the importance of blocking in a performance, and more about performance itself. Without using text, movement and position becomes so much more important to the performer, and I am hoping that it will carry over to when I do perform again, with text, and I will be more connected with my body movement and blocking and find more reason for it.
It's really convenient for me to be studying viewpoints right now because I am also in a introductory directing class and right now we are directing short, silent scenes. So, working on image and spatial relationship goes hand in hand with these silent scenes. Of course, it still isn't easy, but I can go back to what we are learning about view points and apply it to these scenes and it helps me to be more creative and to actually say what I want to with the scene through movement and space.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think this vocabulary really does help directors branch out and get out of certain kinds of patterns of staging. It encourages one to pay attention to space and how it is connected to meaning.

    And as a performer, it gives you the ability to sort of "feel" how something looks from the outside. It gives you a way to be your own director, in a sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Cassie, Anne Bogart has a great book called A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre. This was like my Bible in high school when I directed for the first time (and unfortunately, lost it in a loan to another young directer, otherwise I'd totally give it to you!) Anyway, the book is great though, and it helps to clear a director's head and create interesting pictures on stage.

    ReplyDelete