Monday, January 26, 2009

slaughter city

Okay, I'm trying this again- my internet hasn't been working, and last night, i wrote my blog and then the internet went away, and my blog was erased-- so here goes.
The thing about Slaughter City that stood out to me was that it was so raw in the language and even the action of the characters. There were no worries about being p.c.-- everything was so un-inhibited, and that gave the play an edge that made it so interesting, if not comfortable at all times. I think it would easily keep the attention of an audience.

The issue that I think this play would address with society today is the economic struggle we are facing. The characters in the play are working at this place because they see no other way of making money to live off of. They are treated badly, but they have no hope for change, so they stay where they are to survive. With the economy being as bad as it is now, I can see this being similar to a lot of people's situations. Jobs are getting scarce, and so we have to take what we can get. Actually, my father was fired from his job a week before Christmas this past year because of cut backs. He worked at a factory that treated it's workers badly, and he really hated working there everyday, but it was his way of making a living, and now without that, even though he doesn't have to go back there, he deals with the stress of finding something else in a very small town with little opportunity.

My internet is acting weird-- i think it's about to cut me off.. again, so i'll finish up. --

The confusion about the play that I had is pretty much gone now. I think that I just needed to process the entire thing, and sleep on it, and now I do not have as many questions about the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment